Monday, March 06, 2006

Do Christians Have Freedom of Speech?

Brandon had a good post today at a badchristian blog: patriotism and loving the usa, the only thing I would add is that the person, whoever it was, I didn't research it, who suggested that Brandon move to China had a right to say that, too. Those who fought for Brandon's freedom to express himself however he sees fit also fought for every other citizen in this country to suggest that any other citizen move to China, France or Russia, go fly a kite or take a leaping fly, not that Brandon suggested otherwise, I just felt it needed to be said. We either all have the same freedom or we don't. None of us gets the privilege of choosing what the other gets to say.

Freedom of speech is a grand thang.

Further, anyone who wants to has a right to offend others, and people often do. Some like to use cuss words to emphasize a point and add drama, some use sarcasm or intentionally say something with the intention of getting a rise out of another to spur dialog in a certain direction. Personally, I like having the freedom to express myself in a myriad of ways and don't like it when I feel put upon to get permission to speak freely. If I find I can't speak freely among one group of people I know there are plenty of other groups who will not cause me to feel stifled, or I can come here, to my very own (shared) blog and say anything I want.

The only One I know of that can cause me to want to stifle my speech and consider others is God, Himself.

"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water." James 3:9-12 (NIV) ~ emphasis mine.

No comments: