Sunday, January 20, 2008

Scenes from an Undisclosed Nursing Home: Post 2

I was going to the cafeteria to get Mom some straws when I saw her. There weren't very many people in the halls because it was about dinner time and most of the residents were sitting at their tables waiting to get served their evening meals.

She was sitting by the nurses station, there was no one else around except one other wheelchair bound resident coming up from another hall.

"Can I help you? It's just about dinner time, can I take you to the dining room?" I asked her.

She looked at me, her eyes were full of tears behind her glasses, "I'm waiting for my husband, he's supposed to come...I hope he comes." She said.

"I hope he comes too." I told her and she thanked me.

Later, when I was returning from picking up Mom's dinner tray to take it to her room, the crying lady was talking to one of the aides and she seemed to be comforting her.

I got Mom's tray to her, got one of my own and joined her for dinner in her room.

When I left the little lady was still waiting in the hall, close to the nurse's station but she wasn't crying anymore.

She returned a smile.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Wow.

With stories like this no wonder you've had such an emotional toll lately.