Thursday, April 26, 2007

Some Parents Don't Deserve to be Parents

Listen, I don't have time for this but I want to share an experience I had at a local Walmart store on Monday night.

I had to run in to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for my Mother. It was about 8:00 pm.

I noticed when I was heading for the exit door that there was a Walmart employee standing in the other set of doors, the entrance doors. She was looking at something in the parking lot very intently. She shifted her foot when the doors started to close to keep them from closing and continued to stand there watching something.

It didn't take me long to ascertain what it was she was looking at so intently. I was parked very close but just off to the left and about 8 cars up was a small car with a sun roof. The sun roof was open. Apparently, the small boy, who appeared to be about 4 years old had crawled through the top of the sun roof and in his little bare feet was walking around on the roof of the car. He was putting on quite a show for anyone whose attention he could command. He was yelling at other customers to get that attention and making what appeared to be karate style poses. I saw that he had a sister, about the same age who was still inside the car. When he got close enough to her she would grab at him. I feared she would grab at him at some point and he'd lose his balance.

The scariest part of the scene was when, and it was lightly raining at the time so there was a dusting of water with the potential of causing slippage, he stepped to the back of the roof of the car with his little bare toes hanging over the edge of the roof to the back windshield. I could just imagine him slipping off the car. As soon as he headed back toward the middle of the roof I called to him that he needed to get down from there. This only spurred further 'show off escapades' from the child.

I could see NO adult or parent near the car.

I pulled up to the Walmart entrance where the employee was still standing there watching and informed her that I couldn't see any adult around the child. She appeared to be calling for help so I went on my way.

I heard nothing about a child being injured in any news reports so thankfully the child must have eventually been rescued from his perch. It could have been a very tragic incident. I'm very thankful that it wasn't.

Parents who leave their children unattended in store parking lots are idiots.

2 comments:

thinkingthings said...

The child abuse and neglect hotline can be reached at any time by any one. Call 1-800-392-3738. If you believe a child is in emminent danger, call 911. Even if you think someone was calling for help, it is better to make your own call, then you wouldn't have to scour the news to make sure the child was okay. Besides, don't assume that story would make the news anyway. Greene County has the highest abuse rate in the state, but you sure don't hear about it much in the news.

Jackie Melton said...

You are right, Larry, that's what I should have done.

Thank you for sharing that information here. :)