Wednesday, December 05, 2007

"The internet business..."

Momma Twoop directed me toward what Stephen A. Smith of ESPN TV has to say about bloggers and the internet business, read here:

"And when you look at the internet business, what’s dangerous about it is that people who are clearly unqualified get to disseminate their piece to the masses. I respect the journalism industry, and the fact of the matter is ...someone with no training should not be allowed to have any kind of format whatsoever to disseminate to the masses to the level which they can. They are not trained. Not experts. More important are the level of ethics and integrity that comes along with the quote-unqoute profession hasn’t been firmly established and entrenched in the minds of those who’ve been given that license.

"Therefore, there’s a total disregard, a level of wrecklessness that ends up being a domino effect. And the people who suffer are the common viewers out there and, more importantly, those in the industry who haven’t been fortunate to get a radio or television deal and only rely on the written word. And now they’ve been sabotaged. Not because of me. Or like me. But because of the industry or the world has allowed the average joe to resemble a professional without any credentials whatsoever."

2 comments:

Busplunge said...

I have been wrestling with this very question lately.....do we as bloggers need a code of ethics? Does straight news reporting, the who, what, where, why and when, have a place in the blogosphere? Yes, but I also believe that what we blog is not objective and should not be viewed as such, and we are all so self important or impotent. oneo f theose words

Jackie Melton said...

How would you enforce a blogger's code of ethics, Jim?

Honestly, I don't think I have as high an expectation of bloggers as I do the press.

I mean, personally, I hold myself to a high standard but I don't automatically assume every other blogger does the same. Let's face it, sometimes us bloggers think we know more about things than we really do. I know sometimes I've been guilty of that but I usually will try to correct it, some bloggers don't, it seems to depend on the person.