Friday, January 13, 2006

Hi World, it's me.....PJ

For the zillionth time I've sat myself down to plunk out some words that will hopefully reflect semi-intelligent thought. After all, what do I have to contribute to the blogosphere, that isn't already being contributed by millions of others. Surely not sanity. I've very little of that. Wit? A tad. At least, I'd like to think so. Maybe just some good old fashioned common sense? We'll see. Probably not though, but if you've got some to spare, please send it my way.


I guess I could simply start by telling a little about myself. I mean.........who doesn't like talking about themselves? Well....maybe some Jesuit priest whose taken an oath of silence would beg to differ...........that is, if he could talk.


I'm a stay at home mom. Exciting I know. Actually, it IS exciting. Children do the darndest things and luckily, I am able to share in most of the darn things they tend to do. My kids probably do more than most. That's where the real excitement comes in. Nothing like trying to figure out how to get a crayon out of child's nose. Especially considering the fact the crayon has made said nose slightly snotty and the tweezers won't reach it. I'm pleased to tell you that some doctors have a sense of humor and ours actually waived the doctor fee for that particular visit. The crayon was blue, by the way.


I'm also the resident financial advisor, taxi-cab driver, chef, nurse, rule enforcer and comedic relief. As if that doesn't keep me busy enough, I do laundry too.


On to how I ended up here, at Jacke's blog. We meet in a political chat email group. Right off, despite the fact she a republican, I liked her. All joking aside, I could tell she was a good and kind person. She also shared an interest in something that I think of often. How does one live their life as a Christian, yet dabble in politics and stay connected with their Christian brothers and sisters on the other side of the political fence. For the very political, it can be a real problem. Which is sad and not how it should be at all.


Honestly, I don't take politics as seriously as some, but I enjoy keeping up with them. I have issues that are important to me, but politics has never defined me as a person. I see them kinda like a hobby. I approach it the same way I do my hobby of collecting antique Haviland Limoges. I enjoy it, but sometimes I get tired of searching for the treasure among the junk. It seems lately, when it comes to politics, finding the treasure gets harder and harder.


When we think of how seedy politics has gotten, instinctively, we think the system needs changed. Which, on many levels, it does. Though lately, I've been thinking, we needed to change how we participate in the system. We see what is going on, but out of fear that the other party might get one up on us, we keep supporting our guys. Collectively, as citizens of this country, we really need to show them we are watching. Bombard them with our opinions. Force a reaction from them and an acknowledgement of our existence. We are more than statistics and polls. We are the we in "we the people," and we deserve better than what we are getting. Despite our political differences, we all want our representatives honest and working for the people. That's what we pay them for.


Anyway, I've gone on enough and I will end, lest you begin to wonder what in the world Jacke thinking when she asked me to be a contributor.

1 comment:

Jackie Melton said...

Peege, I don't think there is a question about why I asked you to be a contributor on this blog, you've already put that to rest. Are you questioning my judgement? Again? Lol.

You make a very good point in suggesting that we all make our voices heard, that we force our representatives to acknowledge our existence. They go to Washington and forget all about us, it seems. They look at the polls and the statistics and they fail to look into the faces and eyes of their constituents too much of the time. They certainly all have some answering to do, don't they? That is something that all Christians and non-Christians should be able to agree on, don't cha think?

Hey, you know what? Once in a while my judgement is pretty good, inviting you to be a contributor to JackeHammer was one of those times. I knew just what I was doing. :)